Focus of the Commitment in the German Ethics Council
- Collaboration on recommendations about questions of medical ethics in society and politics
- Connection between academic and industrial research and its promotion
- Scientific aspects of social issues
Contact for Press Enquiries on the Following Topics
- Type II diabetes, Alzheimer's disease
- Science education as a basis for rational decision-making in politics
- Questions concerning drug research and pharmaceutical research
Born in 1953
- 2015-2020 Acting Director of the Institute for Bioanalytics and Bioprocesses, Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology (IZI-BB) in Potsdam-Golm
- 2013-2020 Head of the Department of Drug Design and Target Validation at the Biocenter of Halle (Saale), Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology (IZI) in Leipzig
- 2006 Professor for Pharmabiotechnology at the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
- 2003 Lectureship in Protein Biotechnology at the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
- 2001-2013 Founder and Scientific Director of Probiodrug AG in Halle (Saale)
- 1996-2002 Lectureship for Enzymology at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena
- 1994-2000 Head of the Department of Drug Biochemistry at the Hans Knöll Institute in Jena
- 1990 Habilitation and facultas docendi for Biochemistry at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
- 1981-1989 Assistant and Senior Assistant at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
- 1973-1981 Study of Biochemistry and doctorate
- Since April 2020 Member of the German Ethics Council
- Member of the German Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (GBM)
- Member of the Protein Society (PS)
- Member of the International Proteolysis Society (IPS)
- Member of the American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of the European Society for Advances to Study Diabetes (EASD)
- Member of the New York Academy of Sciences
- Member of the Society for Neurosciences (SfN)
- Member of the Alzheimer's Association (ISTAART)
- Jury member of the IQ Innovation Award of the Metropolitan Region Central Germany
- Member of the Halle-Saalkreis Lions Club (LCI)
- 2013 Hugo Junkers Prize for Research and Innovation
- 2010 IQ Innovation Award Central Germany, overall winner
- 1989 Johannes Müller Prize of the Society for Experimental Medicine
- Grochwaska, K. et al. (2017): Posttranslational modification impact on the mechanism by which amyloid-β induces synaptic dysfunction. In: EMBO Reports, 18 (6), 962-981.
- Nussbaum, J. M. et al. (2012): Prion-Like Behavior and Tau-dependent Cytotoxicity of β-Amyloid Oligomers Seeded by Pyroglutamylated β-Amyloid. In: Nature, 485 (7400), 651-655.
- Cynis, H. et al. (2011): Inhibition of a glutaminyl cyclase isoenzyme mediates deactivation of CCL2: a therapeutic approach for inflammatory disorders. In: Molecular Medicine, 3 (9), 545-558.
- Schilling, S. et al. (2008): Inhibition of glutaminyl cyclase – a novel therapeutic concept for the causative treatment of Alzheimer's disease. In: Nature Medicine, 14, 1106-1111.
- Hoffmann, T. et al. (2001): DPPIV-inhibition as treatment of type II diabetes. In: Mitzutani, S. et al. (ed.): Cell-Surface aminopeptidases. Elsevier, 381-387.
- Pederson, R. A. et al. (1998): Improved glucose tolerance in zucker fatty rats treated by oral administration of the dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor isoleucyl thiazolidide. In: Diabetes, 47, 1253-1258.