Born in 1977
- since 2017: Full Professor for Ethics in Information Technologies, University of Hamburg, Germany
- 2014-2017: Associate Professor (tenured) for Philosophy of Science and Technology at the IT University Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2011-2016: Principal Investigator: Austrian Science Fund Project (P23770) “Epistemic Trust in Socio-Technical Epistemic Systems”, Department of Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- 2011-2014: Senior Researcher at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis, Germany
- 2010: PhD in Philosophy (summa cum laude) , University of Vienna, Austria
- 2009-2011: Research fellow at the Institut Jean Nicod, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris, France
- 2008: February to September, Visiting scholar at the Europe Center, Stanford University, USA
- 2007: Visiting scholar at the Department of Philosophy, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2005-2009: Research Assistant at the Research Group “Philosophy of Science: Cultures and Technologies of Knowledge”, Department of Philosophy, University of Vienna, Austria
- 2003-2005: Research Assistant of the Research Center Juelich at the Max-Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Research Group: Bioethics & Science Communication, Berlin, Germany
- 1996-2002: Studies in psychology, philosophy, English and German language and literature as well as media studies in Berlin, Marburg and Waterloo (Canada); Master in Psychology at the Free University of Berlin
- July 2018: Appointment to the German Ethics Council
- July 2018: Appointment to the Commission on Data Ethics of the Federal Government of Germany
- since 2018: Member of the Joint Committee of Leopoldina and Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) on the Handling of Security-Relevant Research
- since 2018: Member of the Working Group 3 “IT Security, Privacy, Ethical and Legal Frameworks” for the Plattform “Lernende Systeme – Germany’s Platform for Artificial Intelligence (2017-2022)
- since 2017: Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, Institute for Digital Ethics at the Stuttgart Media University
- since 2017: Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, Düsseldorf Institute for Internet and Democracy, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
- 2016: Member of the "Advisory Group on Societal Challenge 6" of the European Commission, development of the work programme 2018-2020 for Horizon 2020
- since 2014: Member of the Executive Board of IACAP, International Society for Computing and Philosophy
- Since 2014: Member of the Executive Board of INSEIT, International Society for Ethics in Information Technology
- 2011-2012: Member of the Onlife-Initiative of the European Commission, DG CONNECT
- Editorial Executive Board of the journal "Philosophy & Technology" and "Big Data & Society"
- 2013: Recipient of the Herbert A. Simon Award for outstanding research in the field of philosophy and computing, awarded by the International Association for Computing and Philosophy (IACAP).
- Simon, J. (2013): Trust. In: Pritchard, D. (Ed.): Oxford Bibliographies in Philosophy. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rieder, G.; Simon, J. (2016): Datatrust: Or, the political quest for numerical evidence and the epistemologies of big data. Big Data & Society, 3 (1), 1-6.
- Rieder, G.; Simon, J. (2017): Big data and technology assessment: research topic or competitor? Journal of Responsible Innovation, 4 (2), 234-253.
- Simon, J. (2017): Values in design and responsible innovation. In: Hansson, S.-O. (Ed.): Methods for the Ethics of Technology. London: Rowman & Littlefield International.
- Simon, J. (2019): The Routledge Handbook of Trust and Philosophy. New York: Routledge [to be published].